Hans Christian van Nijkerk
Based in Stavanger, Norway
Date of birth: 01.03.1982 (Amsterdam, NL)
Native Languages: Norwegian (Bokmål), Dutch, English
2009-2012: Tromsø Academy of Contemporary Art, Bachelor degree in Contemporary Art
2007-2009: Kunstskolen i Bergen (KiB), 2 year Vocational Art School
2004: Art History 101-104 (1 year), University of Bergen
2001-2003: Journalism, 2 years at MI in Bergen, Norway (Now called Høyskolen Kristiania)
2000-2001: Fana Folkehøyskole – Media.
1998-2000: Secondary School, Helen Parkhurst College in Almere, the Netherlands.
1993-1998: Private lessons by artist Agmon van Veen in Almere, the Netherlands.
1991-1993: Art course at CKV (Center for Art and Design), Almere, the Netherlands.
Performance Art Bergen
Scholarships / grants:
2018: Arts Council Norway – «Diversestipend» artist grant
2017: 1 Year working grant - Billedkunstneres Vederlagsfond.
2016: 1 Year working grant - Billedkunstneres Vederlagsfond.
2013: Arts Council Norway - grant for newly graduated artists
2011: Project grant from Intro Talent for the project “Reality 2.0.”
2018: - Parchim, Germany, February 10-12 to work with artist group SINTOS.
- Nida Art Colony, Lithuania, January. Performance collaboration with Hiroko Tsuchimoto.
2017: - C.OFF mini-residency (Stockholm), July. Performance collaboration with Hiroko Tsuchimoto.
- Nordiska Gästateljén at Malongen (Stockholm), January / February. Performance collaboration with Hiroko Tsuchimoto.
- HC & Håvard: satire / sound collaboration with Håvard Henriksen.
- Press conference performance portrait series: series of drawings of Norwegian cross-country skiers Petter Northug and Terese Johaug.
- Kerk + Katerli: music / performance collaboration with Ljubov Katerli.
- Postcard project with artist group SINTOS.
2020: - «#naturesartwork – A short introduction to Norwegian instagram posing in nature». Performance at Finsecamp 2020, a network meeting between Performance Art Bergen and Performance Art Oslo.
- Slim Kerk concert performance: Stuck i Stuen vol. 2 - Livestream - April 18.
- Slim Kerk concert performance: Stuck i Stuen vol. 1 - Livestream - March 21.
- Kerk + Katerli, music performance with Ljubov Katerli at Bergen Public Library, January 18.
2019: - «Dinner Party» Performance with Hiroko Tsuchimoto, December 12. Contemporary Art Centre of Montenegro, Podgorica.
- Kerk + Katerli, music performance with Ljubov Katerli at Bergen Art Book Fair at Landmark, Bergen. November 15.
- «Moving Home», performance inspired by Ed D’Souza’s Migrant Car. Hosted by Kunsthall 3,14 (Bergen). osloBIENNALEN First Edition, November 10.
- Residence and Networking meeting, Madrid, Spain between Acción!MAD and Performance Art Bergen, October 13-20.
- «Toastmaster» Performance at Carbon Reflections seminar, PAB OPEN festival at hotel Terminus, Bergen, October 5.
- Dhaka Live Art Biennale, Bangladesh. Performance with Hiroko Tsuchimoto, February 1-7.
2018: - «Don't talk, just act. Don't say, just show. Don't promise, just prove.» Performance with Hiroko Tsuchimoto at Small Projects Gallery, Tromsø. December 7.
- «Trace the Lines» - Group Performance with artist group SINTOS at Torgallmenningen in Bergen, November 24th.
- «Expressive Herd» – Performance at Sommerøya Electronic Music Festival in Oslo, August 17-18
- «Beware!» - Open Studio performance / presentation with Hiroko Tsuchimoto at Nida Art Colony, Lithuania – January 26.
- «Dinner Party!» Performance with Hiroko Tsuchimoto at Nida Art Colony, Lithuania – January 12.
2017: - «The Pleasure of Your Company is Required» - performance with Hiroko Tsuchimoto at Landmark, Bergen (NO) - November 23.
Supported by BLOKK and Nordic Culture Point.
- Slim Kerk concert performance at Bergen Art Book Fair at Landmark, Bergen (NO) - October 19.
- PAB OPEN 2017 at Vaskerelven in Bergen, (NO) October 7.
- Sounding/Political - «Norwegian Values» - PAB Open Session in front of Kode 1, Bergen (NO)– September 8.
-”Catherine the Great and the shaman”, performance by Amelia Beavis-Harrison at the Arctic Hysteria exhibition at USF, Bergen. Performed with Małgorzata Osypińska. Curated by LOCUS. April 22nd.
- Slim Kerk concert performance at B-OPEN opening party at Østre, April 21st.
- »YOU CAN (NOT) DO IT (ALONE)» Duo-performance with Hiroko Tsuchimoto at Fylkingen, Stockholm (Sweden) February 3rd.
2016: - Bergen International Performance Festival 2016: Soundpainting with BIT20 Ensemble, Strings & Timpani and Performance Art Bergen.
- International Performance Art Giswil festival from September 10-12 (Switzerland)
- Performances in Telgte, Ostbevern, Münster, Soest (Germany) with SINTOS, 23rd - 31st of March.
- Performance with PAB-members at Foundation 3,14, March 20th.
2015: - PAB OPEN 2015 in the old jail building by Bergen City Hall, September 5th.
- Group Performance Improvisation at Festplassen, Bergen, September 4th..
- «The Active Audience» at Bergen Kunsthall / Landmark with PAB members, August 22nd.
- «The Public Vs The Performer», group training at performance festival reFORMAT Vilnius in Vilnius - Lithuania, June 19th - June 22nd.. Curated by Marija Griniuk.
- Group and solo performances («Visit Bergen» and «REW / REW – Rimi UKU», among others) at HANSEartWORKS 2015 in Viljandi, Estonia, June 4th - June 7th.
2014: - Lecture / Performance at Open Forum, Kunstnernes Hus – Oslo, October 6th. Curated by Amelia Hawk.
- “The Public Vs The Performer”, group training outside of Blunk gallery and inside Ramp Pub, Trondheim, September 26th.
- «Marilyn Monroe's Last 20 Minutes Before Committing Suicide» Performance with Kristine Nilsen Oma at Torgallmenningen – Bergen, April 29th – final show of «Dans. Et sted 29.04 – Assembly for site-specific dance».
- «Dancing with dingledodies: music of the beat generation» Spoken Word Jazz concert with musicians P.Asbjørnsen, T.Husø, A. Langesæter, R. Berntsen & S. Veland. Teglverket, Kvarteret (Bergen, April 23rd).
2013: - «To Perform Is To Achieve», Performance at PAB OPEN 2013 in the old jail building by Bergen City Hall, September 7th.
- «Art Fans Commentary», Performance at Prøverommet - Frantz : Navle | Trykk : TrykK, Bergen, 2nd of September.
- «Art Fans Commentary», Performance at the exhibition «Kurant 4 1/2 år» - curated by Kristin Tårnes. Kurant Exhibition Space (Tromsø, June 07th ).
- ”HomeMade”, by Haugen Productions. Performances (7) «I remember...» co-created by and performed together with visual artist Aslaug Juliussen. Tromsø, 3rd - 5th of May, during the Vårscenefest Performing Arts Festival.
- «Art Fans Commentary», Performance at regional meeting for the Norwegian Visual Artists Association in Tromsø, March 3rd.
- «To perform is to achieve» Training program / sports lecture at Small Projects in Tromsø, January 26th. Also included a public screening of «Winners of Loss – nr.2» (2013).
2012: - «No Place Rising» - sound performance with Emilija Skarnulyte at Tromsø Academy for Contemporary Art, October 17th. Streamed live to Careof Docva Gallery in Milan, Italy.
- «To perform is to achieve» / «Heia den som vinner» Training program/sports lecture during Performance Night at Kvarteret, Bergen on
September 5th. Organized by the Bergen Student Society.
- Poetry slam recital at Literature Festival «Det Vilde Ord» in Bodø, May 31st.. - «Selvportrett / Self portrait / Zelfportret» Interval training program in front of an audience at the opening of the bachelor exhibition «I AM HOT FOREVER // I AM NOT FOREVER», Tromsø Center for Contemporary Art, May 12th.
- Auctioneer at «Planka 2», Kurant Exhibition Space (Tromsø, February 10th )
- «The bystander problem / Tilskuerproblemet»: Performed incognito – invisible theatre – at the February Seminar, University of Tromsø, February 7th.
2011: - «Reversible: Giftshop Performance» in the giftshop of NNKS (Northern Norway Center for Contemporary Art) – Svolvær, November 12th.
- Competed in the national Poetry Slam finals in Oslo, November 4th.
- Poetry Slam regional finals – 1st place Ordkalotten Literature Festival at Cafe Sånn - Tromsø, October 7th. - «Never Give up» premiere at Garage, Bergen, August 12th.
- «Never Give up» with Kristine Oma at «Vårslepp», spring gathering for professional dancers - Dansens Hus, Oslo (2 shows, May 27th and May 29th)
2010: - «Never Give up» with Kristine Oma at Mind the Gap, Scenehuset – Oslo, October 29th.
- Performance at the exhibition «Read Me», Kurant Exhibition Space – Tromsø, October 6th.
- Performance during KELA, at the Nerstranda shopping mall – Tromsø, September 29th.
- Poetry slam competition 1st place, literature journal Kuiper launch at Verdensteatret – Tromsø, August 19th.
- «Off-Line Life», Kurant Exhibition Space – Tromsø, June 08th.
2009: - «Delay / Decay» – site-specific performance and installation in a former dental practice.
(Part of the graduation exhibition of Kunstskolen i Bergen, May 29th – June 1st)
2014: - «Winners of Loss» - Galleri Blunk, Trondheim 26th -28th of september.
2020: - «Fra balkongen - et blikk på den regionale kunstscenen» Group exhibition at Stavanger Kunstmuseum. November 7th – December 27th.
- «SPILL YER TEA # 4»: Online experimental live performance art event, presented by DRIP (Liverpool – UK), August 20
2019: - «Dinner Party» - Installation and video documentation with Hiroko Tsuchimoto. Contemporary Art Centre of Montenegro, Podgorica. December 12-31.
2018: - «Ledet av nysgjerrighet» (led by curiosity) - exhibition with Cornelia Glitsch at BLOKK, November 3 - 11.
- Public screening of «Winners of Loss nr.11 – Deviation Starts Here» at BLOKK and Kunstgarasjen in the Cinema B-OPEN video program on April 21- 22.
- Exhibition with BLOKK at Galleri Langegården, February 17th.
2016: - Public screening of «The Athletics Training Camp» at Bergen Kunsthall in the Cinema B- Open video program on April 24th. Curated by Apichaya Wanthiang.
2015: - Exhibition with BLOKK at Galleri Puls in Norheimsund, september 5th – october 3rd.
- Rokkansenteret (University of Bergen) exhibition with BLOKK artists, August '15-May '16.
2014: - Public screening of “Winners of Loss nr 4 - The System” in the Cinema B-Open video program at Festplassen, Bergen during the 12th of September Culture Night. Curated by: Jeremy Welsh.
- «When the light began fading, I wandered home» – exhibition with Cornelia Glitsch. At Blokk – Bergen (01st -03rd of August)
2013: - «Melancholy Lover of a Vanished Space» - Curated by Jet Pascua and Tanya Busse of Small Projects Gallery. Silverlens Gillman Barracks, Singapore (07th -30th of June).
- “BLOKK RELAY”: Gruppearbeid. Exhibition with Håkon Holm-Olsen and Mattias Arvastsson. At Blokk – Bergen. (27th -28th of September)
2012: - Sound installation and performance - «Selvportrett / Self portrait / Zelfportret» (2012) at the BA-graduation exhibition «I AM HOT FOREVER // I AM NOT FOREVER», Tromsø Kunstforening (12th of May-03rd of June).
2011: - «As Time Goes By...» at NNKS (Nordnorsk Kunstner Senter), Svolvær, November 11th -17th.
- «Ut i min hage – no. 19», Harstad. 18th .-25th of June.
2010: - «Take Me Home», semester exhibition. The video «Skavlan» was exhibited and simultaneously released on Youtube. Kurant Exhibition Space, Tromsø (opened on June 8th.) Also exhibited the installation «Offline Life».
Art-related work experience:
Since 2020: - Drawing course for Folkeuniversitetet in Stavanger (virtual classroom).
Since 2018: - Performance art course for students from the Bergen School of Architecture
2021: - Curating and organizing PAB LOKAL – Opening Up / Closing In, Rogaland Kunstsenter with Anne-Marte Eidseth Rygh.
- Performance / video-workshop at Barnas Kunstklubb, Kunsthall Stavanger.
2020: - Lecture / Artist Presentation, Kunstskolen i Rogaland.
2019: - Helped organize international performance festival PAB OPEN in Bergen, Norway, October 5-6.
2018: - Technical assistant during B-OPEN
- Lecture / Artist Presentation, Kunstkolen i Bergen.
2017: - Discomfort performance workshop with Hiroko Tsuchimoto – 1 day workshop in Bergen, Norway – November 25th.
- Helped organize international performance art festival PAB OPEN in Bergen Norway, October 6-8.
- Lecture / Artist Presentation, Kunstkolen i Bergen.
- Organizing «Discomfort» Performance workshop with Hiroko Tsuchimoto – 3 day workshop with public performance event at Fylkingen, Stockholm (Sweden) February 2nd - 4th.
2016: - Curating and organizing of PAB LOKALT – performance art event with local performance artists – at Foundation 3,14 on March 16th and the Leprosy Museum on September 17th.
- Curating and organizing performance evening (BLOKK) in Torvsalen, Old Bergen on April 2nd.
- Filming: video documentation of performances by Sigmund Skard, «Gaffagang/Soundtrack» and Nezaket Ekici, «Essence» at Bergen International Performance Festival.
2015-2019: - Drawing teacher at Folkeuniversitetet in Bergen.
2015-2019: - Actor, Living History in Old Bergen Museum.
2014-2019: - Board member at BLOKK.
2013: - Artist Assistant, Bergen Assembly. Worked as artist assistant for some of the artists and curators that exhibited at the Bergen Assembly Triennal.
23rd -28th of August.
- Filming / Editing, Kristine Nilsen Oma / Omamotion. Videodocumentation of “Far, Far Away” (3 shows), including the production of 2 teasers, 1 trailer and editing the entire show. Including the subtitling and translation of the show from Norwegian to English. June 16th – August 11th. .
- Lecture / Artist Presentation, Kunstkolen i Bergen.
- Filming / Editing, Tromsø Center for Contemporary Art. I filmed and edited an artist talk by festival artist Sigalit Landau, to coincide with her exhibition «Olives». January 17th - February 06th.
2012: - Lecture / Artist Presentation, Kunstkolen i Bergen.
- Filming / Editing, Tromsø Center for Contemporary Art. I filmed Sigmund Skard's performance at the opening of Fail Again, Fail Better. 16th -21st of March.
2019: - PAB OPEN 2019 - Official festival folder. Layout and design. (NO)
- Nida Art Colony Log on Lines & Rituals (LT)
2017: - »Jorunn Veiteberg – Kunstnardrivne Visningsrom – Årestader for ny kunst» Book about artist-run galleries in Norway. (NO)
2015: - »First Move – Performance Art Bergen 2011-2015» (NO)
2012: - »Kysten 95». A presentation of the artists at Troms Fylkeskultursenter. (NO)
2011: - 2 poetry slam texts published in literature journal «Kuiper – Nord. Et rugeanlegg (no.2)» (NO)
- Contribution to Mondo Tromsø: Mondo Tromsø Calling – released on October 6th. (NO)
2010: - Contribution to the publication of the exhibition Read Me (Kurant Exhibition Space, Tromsø), October 05th - 14th 2010. (NO)
2016: - «Slim Kerk – På Trening.» Director: Ken Robert Haltvik. Producer: Sunstone Film & Animation.
2011: - «Swankmajer - Infatuation.» Director: Ken Sivertsen.
2007: - «Slim Kerk & DJ Little Otik - Barnevakten». Director: Christian «Termodress» Bøen. Public screening at Podium (Oslo) on March 29th.
2006: - «Slim Kerk & DJ Little Otik - Altavista». Director: Christian «Termodress» Bøen. Public screning at Prøverommet (Bergen, Norway) on May 20th.
2017: - Digital release of the Slim Kerk EP «Lekker Zacht» on Filibuster Records
2016: - Digital release of the Slim Kerk EP «Work Out» on Filibuster Records
2014: - Digital release of the Visekongene album «Samnanger».
2010: - Digital release of the Swankmajer EP «Virtual» (on i-Tunes, Spotify ++) in addition to a limited CD-R release.
2008: - Digital release of the Slim Kerk & DJ Little Otik concept album «WWW» in addition to a limited CD-R release.
2007: - Composed music for the Dokument Vest Pilot – a satirical news program produced by Øystein Sundland, Einar Sleire and Anders McAuley.
Slim Kerk Live:
2020: - Stuck i Stuen vol. 2 - Livestream - April 18.
- Stuck i Stuen vol. 1 - Livestream - March 21.
2019: - Bergen Art Book Fair at Landmark, Bergen (NO) - November 15.
- Concert performance at BLOKK, B-OPEN, April 27.
2018: - Bergen Art Book Fair at Landmark, Bergen (NO) - November 2.
2017: - Bergen Art Book Fair at Landmark, Bergen (NO) - October 19.
- B-OPEN opening party at Østre, Bergen, April 21st.
2016: - Concert at Landmark – Bergen, August 18th.
- Release concert for Work Out EP at Chagall – Bergen, February 26th.
2014: - Kvarteret Helhus feat. VJ Termodress – Bergen, January 25th.
- Espen Justdal's "Apokalypse Natt" (Apocalypse Night) at Akers Mek – Oslo, January 17th.
2013: - METEOR 2013: Prøverommet Festival Lounge, Verftet USF – Bergen, October 18th.
- Insomnia House Party Extravaganza at Rådstua - Vårscenefest Festival – Tromsø, May 4th.
- Cafe Sånn – Skittentind Rando Afterski Party – Tromsø, April 20th.
- FEEDBACK, Tvibit, Tromsø, April 17th.
2012: - Præstengbrygga, Kabelvåg, May 05th.
- Melbu Electronica Festival, Nye Røkeriet, Melbu, May 04th.
- Slim Kerk feat. Marita Isobel Solberg (Mara and the Inner Strangeness), at Sivertsens Kafé, Performing Arts Festival Vårscenefest, Tromsø, April 28th.
2011: - Cafe Sånn – Skittentind Rando Afterski Party – Tromsø, April 30th.
2010: - Hotdog Culture Kiosk – Tromsø, December 10th.
- Undervekst (Teaterkafeen, Hålogaland Theatre – Tromsø, May 16th)
2009: - Hotdog Culture Kiosk – Tromsø, December 4th.