Hans Christian van Nijkerk
Based in Stavanger, Norway
Date of birth: 01.03.1982 (Amsterdam, NL)
Native Languages: Norwegian (Bokmål), Dutch, English
2009-2012: Tromsø Academy of Contemporary Art, Bachelor degree in Contemporary Art
2007-2009: Kunstskolen i Bergen (KiB), 2 year Vocational Art School
2004: Art History 101-104 (1 year), University of Bergen
2001-2003: Journalism, 2 years at MI in Bergen, Norway (Now called Høyskolen Kristiania)
2000-2001: Fana Folkehøyskole – Media.
1998-2000: Secondary School, Helen Parkhurst College in Almere, the Netherlands.
1993-1998: Private lessons by artist Agmon van Veen in Almere, the Netherlands.
1991-1993: Art course at CKV (Center for Art and Design), Almere, the Netherlands.
Performance Art Bergen
Scholarships / grants:
2018: Arts Council Norway – «Diversestipend» artist grant
2017: 1 Year working grant - Billedkunstneres Vederlagsfond.
2016: 1 Year working grant - Billedkunstneres Vederlagsfond.
2013: Arts Council Norway - grant for newly graduated artists
2011: Project grant from Intro Talent for the project “Reality 2.0.”
2018: - Parchim, Germany, February 10-12 to work with artist group SINTOS.
- Nida Art Colony, Lithuania, January. Performance collaboration with Hiroko Tsuchimoto.
2017: - C.OFF mini-residency (Stockholm), July. Performance collaboration with Hiroko Tsuchimoto.
- Nordiska Gästateljén at Malongen (Stockholm), January / February. Performance collaboration with Hiroko Tsuchimoto.
- HC & Håvard: satire / sound collaboration with Håvard Henriksen.
- Portrait series: series of drawings of close friends, relatives and artist colleagues.
- Kerk + Katerli: music / performance collaboration with Ljubov Katerli.
2020: - «#naturesartwork – A short introduction to Norwegian instagram posing in nature». Performance at Finsecamp 2020, a network meeting between Performance Art Bergen and Performance Art Oslo.
- Slim Kerk concert performance: Stuck i Stuen vol. 2 - Livestream - April 18.
- Slim Kerk concert performance: Stuck i Stuen vol. 1 - Livestream - March 21.
- Kerk + Katerli, music performance with Ljubov Katerli at Bergen Public Library, January 18.
2019: - «Dinner Party» Performance with Hiroko Tsuchimoto, December 12. Contemporary Art Centre of Montenegro, Podgorica.
- Kerk + Katerli, music performance with Ljubov Katerli at Bergen Art Book Fair at Landmark, Bergen. November 15.
- «Moving Home», performance inspired by Ed D’Souza’s Migrant Car. Hosted by Kunsthall 3,14 (Bergen). osloBIENNALEN First Edition, November 10.
- Residence and Networking meeting, Madrid, Spain between Acción!MAD and Performance Art Bergen, October 13-20.
- «Toastmaster» Performance at Carbon Reflections seminar, PAB OPEN festival at hotel Terminus, Bergen, October 5.
- Dhaka Live Art Biennale, Bangladesh. Performance with Hiroko Tsuchimoto, February 1-7.
2018: - «Don't talk, just act. Don't say, just show. Don't promise, just prove.» Performance with Hiroko Tsuchimoto at Small Projects Gallery, Tromsø. December 7.
- «Trace the Lines» - Group Performance with artist group SINTOS at Torgallmenningen in Bergen, November 24th.
- «Expressive Herd» – Performance at Sommerøya Electronic Music Festival in Oslo, August 17-18
- «Beware!» - Open Studio performance / presentation with Hiroko Tsuchimoto at Nida Art Colony, Lithuania – January 26.
- «Dinner Party!» Performance with Hiroko Tsuchimoto at Nida Art Colony, Lithuania – January 12.
2017: - «The Pleasure of Your Company is Required» - performance with Hiroko Tsuchimoto at Landmark, Bergen (NO) - November 23.
Supported by BLOKK and Nordic Culture Point.
- Slim Kerk concert performance at Bergen Art Book Fair at Landmark, Bergen (NO) - October 19.
- PAB OPEN 2017 at Vaskerelven in Bergen, (NO) October 7.
- Sounding/Political - «Norwegian Values» - PAB Open Session in front of Kode 1, Bergen (NO)– September 8.
-”Catherine the Great and the shaman”, performance by Amelia Beavis-Harrison at the Arctic Hysteria exhibition at USF, Bergen. Performed with Małgorzata Osypińska. Curated by LOCUS. April 22nd.
- Slim Kerk concert performance at B-OPEN opening party at Østre, April 21st.
- »YOU CAN (NOT) DO IT (ALONE)» Duo-performance with Hiroko Tsuchimoto at Fylkingen, Stockholm (Sweden) February 3rd.
2016: - Bergen International Performance Festival 2016: Soundpainting with BIT20 Ensemble, Strings & Timpani and Performance Art Bergen.
- International Performance Art Giswil festival from September 10-12 (Switzerland)
- Performances in Telgte, Ostbevern, Münster, Soest (Germany) with SINTOS, 23rd - 31st of March.
- Performance with PAB-members at Foundation 3,14, March 20th.
2015: - PAB OPEN 2015 in the old jail building by Bergen City Hall, September 5th.
- Group Performance Improvisation at Festplassen, Bergen, September 4th..
- «The Active Audience» at Bergen Kunsthall / Landmark with PAB members, August 22nd.
- «The Public Vs The Performer», group training at performance festival reFORMAT Vilnius in Vilnius - Lithuania, June 19th - June 22nd.. Curated by Marija Griniuk.
- Group and solo performances («Visit Bergen» and «REW / REW – Rimi UKU», among others) at HANSEartWORKS 2015 in Viljandi, Estonia, June 4th - June 7th.
2014: - Lecture / Performance at Open Forum, Kunstnernes Hus – Oslo, October 6th. Curated by Amelia Hawk.
- “The Public Vs The Performer”, group training outside of Blunk gallery and inside Ramp Pub, Trondheim, September 26th.
- «Marilyn Monroe's Last 20 Minutes Before Committing Suicide» Performance with Kristine Nilsen Oma at Torgallmenningen – Bergen, April 29th – final show of «Dans. Et sted 29.04 – Assembly for site-specific dance».
- «Dancing with dingledodies: music of the beat generation» Spoken Word Jazz concert with musicians P.Asbjørnsen, T.Husø, A. Langesæter, R. Berntsen & S. Veland. Teglverket, Kvarteret (Bergen, April 23rd).
2013: - «To Perform Is To Achieve», Performance at PAB OPEN 2013 in the old jail building by Bergen City Hall, September 7th.
- «Art Fans Commentary», Performance at Prøverommet - Frantz : Navle | Trykk : TrykK, Bergen, 2nd of September.
- «Art Fans Commentary», Performance at the exhibition «Kurant 4 1/2 år» - curated by Kristin Tårnes. Kurant Exhibition Space (Tromsø, June 07th ).
- ”HomeMade”, by Haugen Productions. Performances (7) «I remember...» co-created by and performed together with visual artist Aslaug Juliussen. Tromsø, 3rd - 5th of May, during the Vårscenefest Performing Arts Festival.
- «Art Fans Commentary», Performance at regional meeting for the Norwegian Visual Artists Association in Tromsø, March 3rd.
- «To perform is to achieve» Training program / sports lecture at Small Projects in Tromsø, January 26th. Also included a public screening of «Winners of Loss – nr.2» (2013).
2012: - «No Place Rising» - sound performance with Emilija Skarnulyte at Tromsø Academy for Contemporary Art, October 17th. Streamed live to Careof Docva Gallery in Milan, Italy.
- «To perform is to achieve» / «Heia den som vinner» Training program/sports lecture during Performance Night at Kvarteret, Bergen on
September 5th. Organized by the Bergen Student Society.
- Poetry slam recital at Literature Festival «Det Vilde Ord» in Bodø, May 31st.. - «Selvportrett / Self portrait / Zelfportret» Interval training program in front of an audience at the opening of the bachelor exhibition «I AM HOT FOREVER // I AM NOT FOREVER», Tromsø Center for Contemporary Art, May 12th.
- Auctioneer at «Planka 2», Kurant Exhibition Space (Tromsø, February 10th )
- «The bystander problem / Tilskuerproblemet»: Performed incognito – invisible theatre – at the February Seminar, University of Tromsø, February 7th.
2011: - «Reversible: Giftshop Performance» in the giftshop of NNKS (Northern Norway Center for Contemporary Art) – Svolvær, November 12th.
- Competed in the national Poetry Slam finals in Oslo, November 4th.
- Poetry Slam regional finals – 1st place Ordkalotten Literature Festival at Cafe Sånn - Tromsø, October 7th. - «Never Give up» premiere at Garage, Bergen, August 12th.
- «Never Give up» with Kristine Oma at «Vårslepp», spring gathering for professional dancers - Dansens Hus, Oslo (2 shows, May 27th and May 29th)
2010: - «Never Give up» with Kristine Oma at Mind the Gap, Scenehuset – Oslo, October 29th.
- Performance at the exhibition «Read Me», Kurant Exhibition Space – Tromsø, October 6th.
- Performance during KELA, at the Nerstranda shopping mall – Tromsø, September 29th.
- Poetry slam competition 1st place, literature journal Kuiper launch at Verdensteatret – Tromsø, August 19th.
- «Off-Line Life», Kurant Exhibition Space – Tromsø, June 08th.
2009: - «Delay / Decay» – site-specific performance and installation in a former dental practice.
(Part of the graduation exhibition of Kunstskolen i Bergen, May 29th – June 1st)
2014: - «Winners of Loss» - Galleri Blunk, Trondheim 26th -28th of september.
2020: - «Fra balkongen - et blikk på den regionale kunstscenen» Group exhibition at Stavanger Kunstmuseum. November 7th – December 27th.
- «SPILL YER TEA # 4»: Online experimental live performance art event, presented by DRIP (Liverpool – UK), August 20
2019: - «Dinner Party» - Installation and video documentation with Hiroko Tsuchimoto. Contemporary Art Centre of Montenegro, Podgorica. December 12-31.
2018: - «Ledet av nysgjerrighet» (led by curiosity) - exhibition with Cornelia Glitsch at BLOKK, November 3 - 11.
- Public screening of «Winners of Loss nr.11 – Deviation Starts Here» at BLOKK and Kunstgarasjen in the Cinema B-OPEN video program on April 21- 22.
- Exhibition with BLOKK at Galleri Langegården, February 17th.
2016: - Public screening of «The Athletics Training Camp» at Bergen Kunsthall in the Cinema B- Open video program on April 24th. Curated by Apichaya Wanthiang.
2015: - Exhibition with BLOKK at Galleri Puls in Norheimsund, september 5th – october 3rd.
- Rokkansenteret (University of Bergen) exhibition with BLOKK artists, August '15-May '16.
2014: - Public screening of “Winners of Loss nr 4 - The System” in the Cinema B-Open video program at Festplassen, Bergen during the 12th of September Culture Night. Curated by: Jeremy Welsh.
- «When the light began fading, I wandered home» – exhibition with Cornelia Glitsch. At Blokk – Bergen (01st -03rd of August)
2013: - «Melancholy Lover of a Vanished Space» - Curated by Jet Pascua and Tanya Busse of Small Projects Gallery. Silverlens Gillman Barracks, Singapore (07th -30th of June).
- “BLOKK RELAY”: Gruppearbeid. Exhibition with Håkon Holm-Olsen and Mattias Arvastsson. At Blokk – Bergen. (27th -28th of September)
2012: - Sound installation and performance - «Selvportrett / Self portrait / Zelfportret» (2012) at the BA-graduation exhibition «I AM HOT FOREVER // I AM NOT FOREVER», Tromsø Kunstforening (12th of May-03rd of June).
2011: - «As Time Goes By...» at NNKS (Nordnorsk Kunstner Senter), Svolvær, November 11th -17th.
- «Ut i min hage – no. 19», Harstad. 18th .-25th of June.
2010: - «Take Me Home», semester exhibition. The video «Skavlan» was exhibited and simultaneously released on Youtube. Kurant Exhibition Space, Tromsø (opened on June 8th.) Also exhibited the installation «Offline Life».
Relevant work experience:
2020: - Drawing course for Folkeuniversitetet in Stavanger (virtual classroom).
- Lecture / Artist Presentation, Kunstskolen i Rogaland.
2019: - Helped organize international performance festival PAB OPEN in Bergen, Norway, October 5-6.
2018: - Technical assistant during B-OPEN
- Lecture / Artist Presentation, Kunstkolen i Bergen.
2018-present: Performance art course for students from the Bergen School of Architecture
2017: - Discomfort performance workshop with Hiroko Tsuchimoto – 1 day workshop in Bergen, Norway – November 25th.
- Helped organize international performance art festival PAB OPEN in Bergen Norway, October 6-8.
- Lecture / Artist Presentation, Kunstkolen i Bergen.
- Organizing «Discomfort» Performance workshop with Hiroko Tsuchimoto – 3 day workshop with public performance event at Fylkingen, Stockholm (Sweden) February 2nd - 4th.
2016: - Curating and organizing of PAB LOKALT – performance art event with local performance artists – at Foundation 3,14 on March 16th and the Leprosy Museum on September 17th.
- Curating and organizing performance evening (BLOKK) in Torvsalen, Old Bergen on April 2nd.
- Filming: video documentation of performances by Sigmund Skard, «Gaffagang/Soundtrack» and Nezaket Ekici, «Essence» at Bergen International Performance Festival.
2015-2019: - Drawing teacher at Folkeuniversitetet in Bergen.
2015-2019: - Actor, Living History in Old Bergen Museum.
2014-2019: - Board member at BLOKK.
2013: - Artist Assistant, Bergen Assembly. Worked as artist assistant for some of the artists and curators that exhibited at the Bergen Assembly Triennal.
23rd -28th of August.
- Filming / Editing, Kristine Nilsen Oma / Omamotion. Videodocumentation of “Far, Far Away” (3 shows), including the production of 2 teasers, 1 trailer and editing the entire show. Including the subtitling and translation of the show from Norwegian to English. June 16th – August 11th. .
- Lecture / Artist Presentation, Kunstkolen i Bergen.
- Filming / Editing, Tromsø Center for Contemporary Art. I filmed and edited an artist talk by festival artist Sigalit Landau, to coincide with her exhibition «Olives». January 17th - February 06th.
2012: - Lecture / Artist Presentation, Kunstkolen i Bergen.
- Filming / Editing, Tromsø Center for Contemporary Art. I filmed Sigmund Skard's performance at the opening of Fail Again, Fail Better. 16th -21st of March.
2019: - PAB OPEN 2019 - Official festival folder. Layout and design. (NO)
- Nida Art Colony Log on Lines & Rituals (LT)
2017: - »Jorunn Veiteberg – Kunstnardrivne Visningsrom – Årestader for ny kunst» Book about artist-run galleries in Norway. (NO)
2015: - »First Move – Performance Art Bergen 2011-2015» (NO)
2012: - »Kysten 95». A presentation of the artists at Troms Fylkeskultursenter. (NO)
2011: - 2 poetry slam texts published in literature journal «Kuiper – Nord. Et rugeanlegg (no.2)» (NO)
- Contribution to Mondo Tromsø: Mondo Tromsø Calling – released on October 6th. (NO)
2010: - Contribution to the publication of the exhibition Read Me (Kurant Exhibition Space, Tromsø), October 05th - 14th 2010. (NO)
2016: - «Slim Kerk – På Trening.» Director: Ken Robert Haltvik. Producer: Sunstone Film & Animation.
2011: - «Swankmajer - Infatuation.» Director: Ken Sivertsen.
2007: - «Slim Kerk & DJ Little Otik - Barnevakten». Director: Christian «Termodress» Bøen. Public screening at Podium (Oslo) on March 29th.
2006: - «Slim Kerk & DJ Little Otik - Altavista». Director: Christian «Termodress» Bøen. Public screning at Prøverommet (Bergen, Norway) on May 20th.
2017: - Digital release of the Slim Kerk EP «Lekker Zacht» on Filibuster Records
2016: - Digital release of the Slim Kerk EP «Work Out» on Filibuster Records
2014: - Digital release of the Visekongene album «Samnanger».
2010: - Digital release of the Swankmajer EP «Virtual» (on i-Tunes, Spotify ++) in addition to a limited CD-R release.
2008: - Digital release of the Slim Kerk & DJ Little Otik concept album «WWW» in addition to a limited CD-R release.
2007: - Composed music for the Dokument Vest Pilot – a satirical news program produced by Øystein Sundland, Einar Sleire and Anders McAuley.
Slim Kerk Live:
2020: - Stuck i Stuen vol. 2 - Livestream - April 18.
- Stuck i Stuen vol. 1 - Livestream - March 21.
2019: - Bergen Art Book Fair at Landmark, Bergen (NO) - November 15.
- Concert performance at BLOKK, B-OPEN, April 27.
2018: - Bergen Art Book Fair at Landmark, Bergen (NO) - November 2.
2017: - Bergen Art Book Fair at Landmark, Bergen (NO) - October 19.
- B-OPEN opening party at Østre, Bergen, April 21st.
2016: - Concert at Landmark – Bergen, August 18th.
- Release concert for Work Out EP at Chagall – Bergen, February 26th.
2014: - Kvarteret Helhus feat. VJ Termodress – Bergen, January 25th.
- Espen Justdal's "Apokalypse Natt" (Apocalypse Night) at Akers Mek – Oslo, January 17th.
2013: - METEOR 2013: Prøverommet Festival Lounge, Verftet USF – Bergen, October 18th.
- Insomnia House Party Extravaganza at Rådstua - Vårscenefest Festival – Tromsø, May 4th.
- Cafe Sånn – Skittentind Rando Afterski Party – Tromsø, April 20th.
- FEEDBACK, Tvibit, Tromsø, April 17th.
2012: - Præstengbrygga, Kabelvåg, May 05th.
- Melbu Electronica Festival, Nye Røkeriet, Melbu, May 04th.
- Slim Kerk feat. Marita Isobel Solberg (Mara and the Inner Strangeness), at Sivertsens Kafé, Performing Arts Festival Vårscenefest, Tromsø, April 28th.
2011: - Cafe Sånn – Skittentind Rando Afterski Party – Tromsø, April 30th.
2010: - Hotdog Culture Kiosk – Tromsø, December 10th.
- Undervekst (Teaterkafeen, Hålogaland Theatre – Tromsø, May 16th)
2009: - Hotdog Culture Kiosk – Tromsø, December 4th.